Google killed the video store

As a younger man I remember arguing with a co-worker about the death of local storage. 

Me: Who wants to store data themselves?  I can store all data in the cloud, where it will be preserved forever!
Wiser co-worker: What incentive does this cloud have to keep your data? I'll keep my data on my local hard drive thank you very much!
 
8 years later my co-worker was  correct. I got the following letter from Google today:

Later this month, hosted video content on Google Video will no longer be available for playback. <snip> We’ve added a Download button to the video status page, so you can download any video content you want to save. If you don’t want to download your content, you don’t need to do anything. (The Download feature will be disabled after May 13, 2011)
Ouch for being wrong,  and double ouch for having to download all my videos to my hard drive.
Notes:
  • Astute readers will note, I actually got a decent deal since I got 8 years of free storage and $/GB has plummeted in that time.
  • This isn’t the first time my “bet on a cloud service” has failed. I lost all my face tags when polar rose was bought by apple and shutdown.
  • I’m a slow learner, and still use the cloud for the primary copy of all my media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding CLR exceptions without visual studio

Why do I keep getting exception code e0434352?

Powershell script to enable windows to capture localhost traffic in wireshark